*This recipe is inspired by Laura Allen's with thanks and we have tailored to our preferences.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes, very finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 cups Spanish rice*
- 5 cups chicken broth*
- ½ lb jumbo shrimp or prawns , about 8 unpeeled, tail on
- 1/2 lb mussels (about 10), cleaned properly (beards off)
- 8 oz calamari rings
- 8 large scallops
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add chopped tomato, bay leaf, paprika, saffron salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Pour the broth slowly all around the pan and jiggle the pan to get the rice into an even layer. (Do not stir the mixture going forward!). Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Give the pan a gentle shake back and forth just once or twice during cooking. (We don't ever stir the rice, so that a crispy crust forms at the bottom, called a socarrat).
- Cook for about 15-18 minutes (uncovered), then nestle the shrimp, mussels, calamari and scallops into the mixture, continue to cook (without stirring) for about 5 more minutes. Watch for most of the liquid to be absorbed and the rice at the top nearly tender. (If for some reason your rice is still not cooked, add ¼ cup more water or broth and continue cooking).
- Remove pan from heat and cover with a lid. Place a kitchen towel over the lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Check out our SBS10 to pair with this recipe and also our vertical six vintages pack for SBS/SSB lovers.