Veal Saltimbocca –
- 8 thin slices of veal
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 sage leaves
- 8 toothpicks
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp vinocotto
- 1/4 cup UMAMU Estate Cabernet Franc
- Salt & pepper to season
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Pan-fried asparagus and baby tomatoes –
- Large handful of asparagus (400-500g)
- Pot of cherry tomatoes (300-350g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Flatten veal slices and wrap a slice of prosciutto around each. Pin a sage leaf to the veal and prosciutto with a toothpick.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and lightly dredge each slice of veal in the flour. Shake off the excess flour.
- Add olive oil to a fry pan and heat. Fry the veal slices in the hot pan for a minute or two on each slide until cooked through. Remove cooked veal and set aside to rest.
- Deglaze the frypan with the vinocotto and Cabernet Franc, adding any meat juices from the resting veal back into the pan. Turn off the heat, add veal back to the pan to coat with the pan juices.
- Serve with pan fried asparagus and baby tomatoes.
The lightness of the Cabernet Franc marries well with delicate veal enlivened with the salty prosciutto and herbal sage flavours.
Click here to view our 2015 UMAMU Estate Cabernet Franc (94 points James Halliday).
Click here to view our 2016 UMAMU Estate Cabernet Franc (Gold medal GFWC, 91 points Huon Hooke).